Wednesday, January 17, 2018

#6: Muhammara (red pepper dip)

Muhammara (page 153) is a middle eastern flavored red pepper dip, which reminds me of hummus.  I had this huge jar of roasted red peppers from Costco to use up, so it was perfect.





















This was a deceptive recipe because it's theoretically the easiest recipe in the world -- toast the walnuts then whirl all the ingredients in the food processor and you're good to go.  However, I couldn't find two of the ingredients: Carr's whole wheat crackers and the pomegranate molasses.  No problem to substitute a small piece of leftover French bread for the crackers, but pomegranate molasses were trickier.  I ended up making Alton Brown's Pomegranate Molasses from a small bottle of Pom Wonderful juice.  I hate having to make a recipe to make another recipe. Plus I don't know how to use the remaining pomegranate molasses.

Kind of expensive since the Pom juice was $5 for the smallest container and nuts and red peppers are also expensive.

Difficulty
Super easy if the ingredients were readily available.

Would I make it again? 
Maybe for a party or unscheduled get together where I needed to put something together quickly.  I liked it more than the rest of the family.

Family Ratings and Comments
John: 6, weird texture.
Karen:  7, need to find right cracker and would be better.
Lily: 9, i like it.
Iris: 6, good with lemon juice.
Total: 28/40







No comments: