Saturday, January 13, 2018

#5: Stovetop Mac and Cheese

I think I've tried every ATK and CC Mac and Cheese recipe.  They've all been good to awesome.  My favorite is the Mac and Cheese with Tomatoes,.  I highly recommend this tomato one is you like tomatoes in Mac and Cheese.  I've not tried this new Easiest-Ever Mac and cheese from Cook's Illustrated, which looks to be divine.  It's on the to-make list.

Anyway, I had high hopes for the Stovetop Mac And Cheese (page 121), but knew I would have to make a lot of substitutions.  I substituted goat milk for the evaporated milk.  Mustard was harder on this recipe because it was the base spice for piquant flavor (that sharp-sour flavor that mustard provides).  I settled on a bit of sautéed onion and blue cheese to give it that depth.

I was so nervous that the sauce would break because of the goat milk substitution but it held together nicely.



















Overall, I like this recipe because it's easy, fast, and doesn't make too many dishes.  It's a great base recipe that would be so good with a mix of cheeses or different mix-ins.  I would undercook the pasta by quite a bit because it was a little mushy from being cooked twice as the custard solidified.





















Difficulty
Easy to Medium

Would I make it again? 
Maybe

Family Ratings and Comments
Iris: very flavorful, 9
John: liked the blue cheese flavor, 9
Karen: easy but a little overdone, like the other ATK and CC recipes better, 7
Lily:  good with Tabasco, 10
Total: 35/40































No comments: