Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Where to find local food


Where to find high quality food
Finding local suppliers of eggs, meat, farmers markets at localharvest.org
US Wellness Meats has a lot of hard to find meat products and they ship nationwide.
Pick your own produce at u-pick farms.


Where I shop
We buy most of our meat from Wallace Farms. Pick up is monthly in Naperville. We do this a few times a year because I hate going to Naperville. We buy the ground beef in bulk to save money.

Some pork from Gloria's Gourmet Meats at the Oswego Farmers Market on Sundays. I especially like Don's italian sausage.

We have several egg suppliers locally to keep us in stock. We eat a lot of eggs. I'm not telling where because they don't have enough for us. You need to find your own. Use local harvest, craigslist, or the local paper.

Raw milk and dairy from Green Meadow Farm.

CSA subscription for Erehwon Farm. We pick up weekly although they do offer delivery to a few local towns. The kids enjoy going out to their farm and picking the fruits and vegetables.

Supplemental vegetables from the local farmers markets. I especially like Norway Farms because they are honest about what is local and what is not. I buy local as much as possible. They also make their own fermented sauerkraut.

Trader Joe's monthly in the summer and more frequently in winter when the farmers markets are closed.


Fruitful Yield and Whole Foods occasionally.

This sounds like we do a lot of food shopping but usually it is just one place a week plus the CSA pickup.



No comments: