





I stayed home from work today with presumably a massive gallbladder attack. I didn't go to sleep until 7 a.m. I think the kids had scrambled eggs and soaked oatmeal with blueberries for breakfast. For lunch, they had pate with crackers and veggies with dip. The carrots were from our CSA and the kohlrabi was from the farmers market. The kids love pate. It is loaded with iron and healthier than lunch meat. I usually buy it from Trader Joe's because I don't have time to make it anymore. They snacked on cherry tomatoes while I cooked dinner. I usually let them snack on veggies before dinner. It's one of my tricks to get them to eat veggies and doesn't spoil their appetites. If they are as hungry as they claim, then they will eat them!
I made fish cakes for dinner. Fish cakes are an easy, go-to meal for me and is very versatile. It's the idea of meatloaf, just patties. I also made tartar sauce and a cucumber salad. We had some leftover broccoli as an additional side dish.
Fish Cakes
1 can wild-caught salmon, drained well (or 2 cans tuna or 1 can wild-caught mackerel or equivalent amount of crab)
1-2 pastured eggs
1/4 c. homemade mayo
1/4 c. scallion whites (or onion), chopped finely
1/4 c. fresh italian parsley, chopped finely (this is optional and i didn't have it tonight)
1/2 c. roasted red bell pepper, chopped finely (or finely chopped celery)
~1 c. binder: oats, crackers, bread crumbs, almond meal, panko, etc. This is the glue that will hold your cakes together.
1/4 t. old bay seasoning (optional and is great with crab. but if the fish is salty, it will make the cakes too salty. canned mackerel is usually too salty for this.)
Put on your big girl panties and scrape the bones and skin off the salmon. Or be a wuss and buy the already cleaned kind. Smash it up in a bowl. In a big bowl, whisk together eggs, mayo, scallion, parsley, and peppers. Add the fish and stir well to combine. Add enough binder to hold the cakes together. This could be anywhere from a 1/2 c. to 1.5 c. depending on how wet everything is, how many eggs, etc. Form them into patties the size you want. Tip: the bigger the cake, the more binder you will need. These were pretty wet and I ran out of crackers so I made them small. You can make this up the night ahead and just fry them at dinner time. Fry in a large skillet in olive oil until cooked and nicely brown on both sides.
Meanwhile, Lily decides to hug the garbage can while she waits for dinner. Her after bath pajama choice is a long-sleeved top and a skirt. I can't make up this kind of comedy.
Tartar Sauce
Mix equal parts plain yogurt and mayo. Add finely chopped pickle, scallion green tops, and dill. Or whatever seasoning you like. I had a lot of dill from our CSA this week. So I also made cucumber salad to use the dill and the enormous amount of free cucumbers we keep getting. Free= good.
Cucumber Salad
4-6 cucumbers, sliced into half moons. If they are largely seeded, scrape out the seeds as they can be bitter. Or be lazy like I did. "Eat it and like it." is my motto.
~1 c. greek yogurt or homemade plain yogurt.
~ 2T. acid (vinegar of choice or lemon juice)
~1 T. raw honey, optional
1 clove garlic, chopped as fine as possible, optional
onion product to taste. I would put a ton of onion if it were just John and I but the kids don't like raw onion so I put a small bunch of chives from the garden.
fresh dill to taste or leave out and substitute another herb.
Mix together the wet stuff and herbage. Fold in cucumbers. This tastes better the longer it sits, so it's a great thing to make good batch of and munch on as a side-dish for a few days.
No comments:
Post a Comment