Tuesday, August 17, 2010

8/14 and 8/15: Lily's birthday weekend

NOTE:  Click on the pictures to enlarge them in any of the posts.  I just learned that.

WHEW!  I am still pooped!!!!!  It was a crazy weekend at the Clementi house with Lily's birthday.  On Saturday, Lily and I made meatballs while John and Iris finished swim lessons.  She and I have been making meatballs together for a long time and she is getting really good at it!  She matched me one to one for the entire 1st tray, which is much faster than John!   Helping me made it go a LOT faster.  I made 4 lbs worth because they freeze so well.  I use a variation of Rachael Ray's meatball recipe where I omit the Worcestershire sauce and add fresh parsley.  I also use a combination of ground pork and ground beef.  I also made two kinds of homemade sauce. One meated and one meatless. I won't bother posting the sauce recipes until they are both perfected.  Many years of trying and still not right.

Here is Lily snacking on Italian parsley before we started rolling.
















Here is Lily helping me dump the cheese in.  It was wonderful to spend that one-on-one time with her doing something we both enjoyed.














We had spaghetti and meatballs on Saturday night after going swimming at the pool.














The finished product with a huge salad.   This is my plate with about 1/4 the amount of pasta I would have eaten in the past.


Do you think they liked it?















That night, I stayed up late making homemade pudding for Lily's family birthday party at Dad and Kelly's.  The rest of the meatballs and sauce went with us too.  She wanted chocolate and butterscotch.  The chocolate pudding is from Martha Stewart with my beloved Valhorona chocolate.  The recipe is here and is worth every single second of effort.  Again, still looking for that perfect butterscotch pudding recipe.















Ugly picture but tasty pudding!

Way more time than I usually spend in the kitchen but totally worth it for the sweetest 5 year old in the world!

No comments: