Wednesday, February 9, 2011

This week's dinner menu

This was Leftover Week in the Clementi house and much less exciting than Hollywood Week on American Idol.  We had so many leftovers to eat!  The chili and chicken were prepped over last weekend and made to be reheated during the week.  The rest is leftover meat and sides from the past week.

Monday:   Pot roast, mashed sweet potatoes, broccoli with peppers
Tuesday: Crockpot bbq porkroast and broccoli coleslaw
Wednesday: Roast Chicken Legs, Squash Fries with Garlic Mayo, salad
Thursday: Chicken with Proscuitto, veggies
Friday:  Green Chicken Chili
Saturday: Salisbury Steak and veggies


The salisbury steak is made pretty much the way Rachael Ray does, except I don't use flour and use 2 eggs in the meat mixture to bind the patties together.  I also grate the onion so no one gets big, semi-cooked chunks of onion.  This recipe reheats beautifully and is actually better reheated because the flavors meld.

Something I wanted to touch on is quick bulk cooking.  It is very easy to cook many things at once without being tied to the overwhelming "once a month cooking" idea.  It is just as easy to bake 8 sweet potatoes rather than 4. I threw 8 on a cookie sheet and we ate them a couple or three times over the 2 weeks.  Likewise, I had a value-pack of chicken drumsticks, which was I think around 18?  I baked all 18 the same time -- 6 were marinated in yogurt and curry powder, the remaining 12 just sprinkled liberally in all-purpose season salt etc blend.  Of those 12 legs, I shredded 6 to put into the green chicken chili.   Lily and Iris ate some of the chicken legs for lunches and then one night for dinner.  This method saves energy as well by using the oven to cook multiple things.

No comments: