Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Tuscan roast pork and potatoes

Another winner from Mark Bittman's How to Cook Everything cookbook -- Tuscan roast pork with Potatoes.  I won't bother to retype it but the gist is that you make a bed of chunky chopped potatoes mixed with salt and olive oil and spices to taste in a 9X13 pan.  Meanwhile, finely chop garlic, herbs such as rosemary and sage, and add salt and olive oil to make a paste.  Then use a paring knife to create little slits in the meat and stuff the paste inside.  I did all of this prep work on Sunday and refrigerated it for dinner the next night.  The next night, all John had to do was take off the foil, throw the pan in the oven, and steam some broccoli.  Since the roast was kinda big and John seems a little paranoid about underdone pork, the cook time plus rest time was about 2 hours.  He roasted it for 425 for about 30 minutes and another hour and 15 at 325 and then we let it rest for 15 minutes before I sliced it.  I would have cooked it way less but it had good flavor for pork jerky.  I think I am going to add some chutney or bbq sauce before reheating later this week.

No comments: